Monday, October 3, 2011

A weekend escape from the hustle and bustle of the city

This weekend our program went on a trip to Costa Brava, a beautiful coast to the north of Barcelona where many people who are from city go during the summer or on the weekends to relax and escape.

We stayed one night in a town called L'Escala. The views of the ocean were amazing. The beaches here are so different from the ones I'm used to. They have many more big rocks and cliffs. There are plenty of houses on top of the cliffs with great views - when I become rich and famous (and I do plan to make that happen...) I hope to own one of them.
On Saturday we went to see the Greek and Roman ruins in L'Escala. The remains are of a port city which served as a center of trade around the time of Christ. It is beyond incredible to me that they are still standing. I can't really picture any of the buildings we have today lasting over 2000 years.

Saturday night we went to a small medieval town to eat dinner. I don't think I have been that full in a while. We were given piles and piles of traditional catalan food and even better endless bottles of wine!

Sunday we woke up early and traveled to the nearby Figueres to see the Dalí museum. This was yet another mind boggling experience. I had learned about Salvador Dalí in school countless times but I was not prepared for the craziness of this museum. The guy was clearly a genius. At first glance when walking the museum there is a painting of a woman staring out a window. When you take a step back you realize the pixels actually form a portrait of Abe Lincoln.

The weekend was a lot of fun. Now its time to get back to work :( My classes are not too bad but I just entered a macroeconomics class and its been taking me a while to get caught up since I missed the first three class periods. Its definitely a challenge taking classes at a school you are not used to and makes me appreciate Richmond a whole lot more. But at the same time I'd much rather be traveling around Europe instead of spending my nights in Boatwright Library!

No comments:

Post a Comment